Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Lot of New Tricks to Learn

Penny is terrified of the storms here. So am I. I put her in her crate and cover it with blankets to block the lightning and turn on the AC and a fan to block out the noise but this is still the scenario:

"BARK! BARK BARK!"

"You're ok Penny"

"Moooooaaaan"

"It's ok baby, go to sleep"

"Groooowl"

"BARK! BARK! BARK!"

"Penny! Go to sleep!"

"Growwwwll"

"Go to Bed!"

"Whimper Whimper"

Silence....

"BARK! BARK! BARK!"

It doesn't stop until the storm does so sleep is IMPOSSIBLE. Just when you think the rainy season is over, another HUGE storm hits at 10pm. UG!

Last night's adventure:

It was really gross and I had never seen anything like it. I let her out to go potty and she started sniffing at something. I kept telling her no and to get away (because it could have been a number of creatures) but she ignored me (we all know she is not a very good dog). Then I saw her attack, the frog jumped, and she started bucking and shaking her head. I thought she was just creeped out by the frog but then I saw her face. She had a huge quanity of foam dripping a foot from her mouth all sticky and bubbling. I started screaming and well, and I'm not proud of this part, I closed the door and kept her outside because she was 1) really gross, and 2) really scary. She just laid down and put her head down and thought she was in trouble becuase that's where we put her when she climbs on our counters to eat our dinner. Luckily I was skyping with Andy so he looked on Google while I was running around freaking out. He found a post that I could have written:



"Help! My dog just ate a frog and now is foaming at the mouth. She's running around so I think she is ok, but still. Help ASAP!"



Someone answered that frogs give off a really foul tasting excrement as a defence mechanism and so the dog foams because of the horrible taste. I wiped her mouth and gave her some more food and told her to drink water to get the taste out of her mouth. She was ok after about 10 minutes. Andy also found that frogs dangerous to dogs live in Arizona and Australia (Thailand was not listed). Let's hope she is smart enough to stay away from them now.

Also, she has ALWAYS had 2 cups of food and remained a slim yet sultry 59 pounds. Now, she barks at me to feed her more. So I started giving her 1/2 a cup more. She may or may not be up to 3 cups now. I am making my dog fat to make myself feel better. That and she has all the control in our house. Obviously.

1 comment:

susan said...

I'm sorry...
:(
:(
:(((