Friday, June 1, 2007

30 Days Before We Go

Nicole needs a criminal check which she has tried to get three different times at three separate establishments. She has asked six people, who she thought would have the answer, how to get one. Wait…make that seven. She also asked her father who is an LA County Sheriff. No one can tell her what to do.

Not giving up easily and highly motivated, Nicole continued the quest today by going to the Arcadia District Office on her lunch break On arrival, she found some comfort in the fact that it was surrounded by police cars and choppers overhead. Perhaps one of THESE police officers could give her an answer. However, they were preoccupied because Arcadia High was on lockdown. Not being easily intimidated, she ran past the officers (and gunman) only to be told that she could not see her file…ever (which has a criminal check in it). Saddened and a bit discouraged Nicole left (when she was allowed to.)

Status of how and when she will get a criminal check = Clueless

Nicole also needs a Visa and an entry permit, transit permit and Veterinarian certificate for Penelope. She also has four documents all in Thai that she is supposed to send off with her Visa. Since Nicole has seen Brokedown Palace she is hesitant to sign her life away to Thailand. Even though they say, “Don't worry that you can’t read them, this is what they are…”

Andy has no Visa, no other documents, and no clue (as to what his job actually will be when he gets there.)

We are feeling very little pressure and stress at this point.

If this seems a bit negative it is only because Nicole did not mention that earlier today she and her colleagues had chased a potential kidnapper through Hugo Reid Elementary. She is pretty sure had her principal been on campus he would not have approved of their reaction and action.

*side note for Mike (her principal) from Nicole
We honestly believe (now) that there was never a kidnapper on campus today. We understand that we did not react in the best way. I’d like to say that if this were to happen again, we would go into lockdown mode. However, being a teacher it is difficult to always react with your head when your heart takes over. I think we did what we felt we had to.

It was an eventful day.

2 comments:

Danni and Tommy said...

Very sad, yet proud. I can't believe you are taking Penelope and not ME! I understand though. She is not Mexican (drunk and late). Although Penny IS of German, French, and English decent, some of which historically have been known to enjoy a beverage or two. I'd watch her very carefully. I mean she's no margarita Scarlett, but you can never be too careful. If she falls off the wagon, I will gladly take her place as the third member of the Wino Rhino Trio Thai chapter. Thank you for your consideration.

Danni and Tommy said...

descent not decent...although I usually think Penny and the people of Germany, French, and English descent are decent. I'm not judging here.