yeah I didn't know about that one either. Apparently mine is very weak. I feel a little like when my doctor told me I had a heart murmur and I went around trying not to over exert my heart and felt like my little heart was no longer mine but special and fragile like "I had an ape heart." I'm pretty sure Danielle was told she had a heart murmur too and that's how she described it, like having an ape heart. It's a perfect description. But this is not a blog about my heart, it is a blog about my ear. Or rather the weak muscle that affects my ear. Let me start at the beginning.
So for about a year I have been losing hearing in my right ear. Not completely, it sounds like it's under water or needs to pop. This has been happening about 2-3 times a week. I found a correlation; it seems to happen after I drink coffee and/or in the middle of a 3 hour dance class. I also found that if I drink tons of water it goes away within an hour. It is extremely annoying when it happens and it drives me crazy. So I looked online to see if I could find an answer. Can you believe that not one person has posted anything about this? I swear, I searched. No one experiences this? I got a little worried and so finally I decided to go to an ear nose and throat specialist to make sure it wasn't an infection.
Apparently Bangkok makes people prone to ear stuff. I think it is all the gross things in the air. This is just a precursor to what I'm about to tell you next. I'm not proud of it and I just want you to know that I am not the only one who has experienced this.
The first thing the doctor did was take a piece of wax out of my ear that was literally the size (and shape) of a small marble. I never realized that wax can come out in a ball. I guess this is where "ball of wax" comes from? There is no way that thing could have come out on it's own, my ear hole is not that big.
But this wasn't even the problem. He told me I have a weak muscle that connects my nose to my ear. My muscle just doesn't like to work so it stops. Similar to the other muscles in my body. They're lazy. He says that when I drink water it makes the muscle work and then fluids can flow smoothly. So he thinks that prevention is better that fixing the problem. Well, yeah, that's why I went to him. I already knew how to fix it!
He told me to hold my nose and blow, like I'm popping my ears. This is the exercise I'm supposed to do. Easy fix right? Well, yeah, I guess. But I really really really hate this. I don't think I've ever actually done this before. I hate seeing people do it, I hate the thought of myself attempting to do it. I feel like I'm going to blow out my ear drums. It's like holding in a sneeze (something I equally despise). It's just unnatural and weird.
I'll let you know how the muscle training goes. Oh, and he also said this is a very common thing, not serious, just annoying. If it is so common how come no one talks about it? I'm proud to be the first person on Earth to write about this on the Internet, but not proud of my weak muscle(s).
6 comments:
I have so many thoughts I need to organize them and post later. I love you and your weak muscle!
Oh, and I didn't have a heart murmur. But, that's a completely different post.
I have experienced the shame of a ball of wax falling out of my ear. :-( I posted this for camaraderie purposes. :-))
Thanks!
The doctor told me that something was wrong with my heart and that I needed to get it checked out IMMEDIATELY. So, I did. The heart dude said that it was because my heart listened to my breath (different beat with inhales and exhales) and blamed it on running. He said it was healthy, but I obviously stopped running that day. Thought I'd share why I don't exercise. Maybe that's the problem with YOUR heart, we ARE sisters. You might want to stop exercising. It helps the heart.
555! You crack me up!
February IS heart health month.
Post a Comment