Thursday, September 10, 2009

Top 10 Worst Days of My Life



Last night definitely fits into that category. Andy and I went to dinner and the storm started after we made it safely to the restaurant. The lightning and thunder and torrential downpour caused us to stay quite some time at Coyotes (the free margaritas due to ladies night helped too). We decided the rain had slowed and to make our way back on the BTS. Once we got off at our stop we saw that Sukhumvit and Soi 50 were absolutely flooded. The water was covering the sidewalk from the overflowed streets. No taxis were available, and even if they were, we would have to tread in knee high water in the street to get to one. The motorcycle stand line was wrapped around the block; longer than either of us had ever seen it. I concluded that it would take at least half an hour to get through the line, so we might as well walk. I was in heels, but the walk wasn't that far, and the margaritas were clouding my judgement. So off we went. At fist, it was funny, trudging through driveways where the water came up to meet the sidewalk. At least there was still some sidewalk. Just before turning the corner we managed to flag down a motorcy, well not really, he happened to be dropping someone off directly in front of us. I happily said, (because this no longer was feeling funny) "Garden City Song Ka." His response was a full hearted laugh and shake of the head while saying, "Mai Dai!" meaning "Can Not." I begged and pleaded but he was adamant about not being able to. Andy decided it must be even more flooded on soi Sawadee 4. He was right. We turned the corner and the flood was overwhelming. Stores and houses we could see into were flooded, floors replaced with at least a foot of water. Luckily there was a Thai woman walking ahead of me so I took her lead. I started to walk and Andy and I fell simultaneously. We apparently were on a high curb (covered with water) and fell off of it into a pile of rocks. Now, we were standing drenched from the waist down with open wounds in the middle of this bacteria infested rushing river. This is when I became instantaneously sober and the tears came from sheer panic. I became startling aware that I only got two rounds of my Hepatitis shots which only made me about 80% covered. As if this wasn't enough fear I started to think of the many newspaper headlines that showed humongous pythons being pulled out of sewers during monsoon season. The tears became hysterical, panicking, bawling in which Andy responded, "Why are you crying? It's just water!" You know as well as he knew NOTHING ABOUT THAILAND SOI WATER IS JUST WATER. "Why am I crying?" I asked him. "Why AREN'T you?" was my response. He repeatedly told me I would be o, trying to calm me down by putting up a front that it was no big deal, but it was hard to believe him when I was only half way home, bleeding, barefoot, and couldn't see the ground through the murky water. Everyone at work agreed I did NOT overreact. One co worker said she was safe at home in bed and was crying because she was so scared of the lightning. THAT might be an overreaction.

2 comments:

susan said...

:((

Danni and Tommy said...

I'm so glad I'm not you.

Better or worse than the bus ride?