Sunday, March 1, 2009

Thais-Indians-Mexicans-same same

My friend Preya (half Indian/ half white) and I immediately found a connection. We like to eat the same strange stuff. Now I'm realizing Thais like the same weird stuff too. What is it? Really, what is it? Preya and I knew within a month that we both love and crave lemons with salt. We both said, "You eat that too???" because I thought it was a Mexican thing and she thought it Indian. We both love the street stand pickle-esque circular things with a seed in the middle that we put sugared chili on. Would you ever put sugared chili on anything? Yet we do. What is it? The reason this question comes up is because I found, in Thailand, SALADITOS. Yes, truly. But, they ARE a bit Thai. It may be the MSG; they taste as if they are coated with sweet-n-low. That can't be good right? I know. But they are so close to saliditos that it is totally worth the sweet-n-low pre- and after taste. Until someone sends the real thing(HINT HINT). Now I just have to find out if Indians eat them too...

1 comment:

susan said...

funny!
And everyone eats rice.
;-)