Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hands

Skin color is a big issue here. You can't even get a cream with out whitening cream added. Anyway, I asked my students if it was better to have light skin or dark skin, and a few shouted out light skin. Some shouted out "same." I then read the story, Sister Anne's Hands and we discussed skin color and why some people think lighter is better. I asked them if they would like me any better if I had lighter skin, or their best friend. Anyway, they then had to mix paiont to find the closest color of their own skin and draw and paint their hands. At the bottom they had to describe their skin color. Some of my favorites " My hands are creamy like Taiwanese Tea." "My Hands are like peanuts." "My hands are like chocolate with cream." "My hands are yellow like pure gold" And, "My hands are strong like a pumpkin." Good teaching moments, gotta live for them!

1 comment:

susan said...

Great story! It made Mom buy the book!
love,
mom