Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thai Chillies, Computer Trickery, and Continuous Celebrating

Today when I went to get Som Tom I asked for one chili as usual. I saw her make the man in front of me real Som Tom and she put in 2 handfuls of chili! That has to be like 20 chilies! One is too hot for my friends who get half of one. 2 handfuls?! Really?! She had to make mine in a separate bowl as not to kill me with the remains of his chili. How do they do it?

You know when you have to copy letters into a box before sending something so the computer can tell if you're a person or a computer? Why do they make this so tricky? Am I the only one that plays this game over and over and continuously loses? I play until they give me an easy one and finally I can get through to continue my business. I mean seriously, do you know the difference between an I and an l?

Andy's birthday celebration will continue into the weekend. We are headed to Kanchanaburi to see the Erwan Falls. We will leave tonight for a 2 hour bus ride. It is supposed to be beautiful and is home to the Bridge Over River Kwai. There are 7 falls that you can hike up to and rocks you can slide on into the water. The falls are named the most beautiful falls in Asia! Very exciting!

I have to just add this short sidenote. Our counselor is teaching a "lesson" to my class right now and just said this sentence: "First I want to drowned you." Now, you're probably thinking well, she's ESL. Nope, she's white and American. She does things like this ALL the time. So what's her problem? Either she has lived in Thailad for too long or being from the Midwest is just that bad.

1 comment:

susan said...

The Midwest will do you in EVERY time! I should know, being there between ages 2 and 5. My daughter who has a Master's in English and is pursuing her Doctorate in Linguistics said rut for root, I believe. It's all my fault! The pressure is too great!
love you,
mom