Tuesday, August 21, 2007
School
One of my cutest students, Ami, pronounced "Amy I", has been absent for 2 days and tardy every other morning. Today she told me that she was opening up a restaurant and that she had to work until 11pm each night so she hasn't been sleeping. (I realize she meant her parents are opening up a restaurant but I honestly think she feels like it is hers. As she should since she seems to be running it.) I asked if that's why she had been absent and she said yes. I told her she could go sleep in the nurse's office if she needed to because that's where I'm headed. Waking up at 5 am is KILLING me. But enough about me, poor little Amy I and the lack of child labor laws. Then I think about how lucky she is in comparison to the other kids here that don't get to have an education, because of lack of money, and who have to work twice as hard. It's amazing how honest these kids are and what a different world it is compared to America.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Very touching story. :-(I imagine our country was similar during the Great Depression.
love, Mom
Good story. I will get back to you regarding the success of the fun scavenger hunt when I have time this weekend. Then I will contact your transportation department and let you know what they say about maximum weight/size limitations. If it's overweight/size I will contact your second rate shipping department. Did I get the assignment correct?
BTW, thank you for writing in the first person. 3rd person confused me. Is it you? Is it Andy? Is it your maid?
Post a Comment